Time: 3 hours and 15 minutes Servings: Approximately 18 cabbage rolls.
These old-fashioned cabbage rolls are so tender. The combination between the ground beef, rice, and spices is very unique. Many people don’t like the taste of cabbages; however, in this recipe with the use of garlic and red pepper flakes, you won’t even experience the powerful taste of cabbages. Moreover, the addition of Worcestershire sauce gives a tangy, sweet, and salty flavor to our cabbage rolls.
This side dish can be served with any other meal. It can be served with mashed potatoes, Sauerkraut, bread, or a simple side salad. It can also be introduced as an appetizer. Although this recipe takes 40 minutes to prepare, your mouth definitely deserves to experience it. In addition to this, your loved ones would love to have a bite from these rolls.
- ¼ of uncooked long-grain rice, or something similar. (when cooked, it will yield to 1 cup)
- 1.5 pounds lean ground beef,
- 1.5 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 large egg
- 1 peeled and minced yellow onion,
- ⅓ cup of chopped fresh parsley
- 3 cloves of minced garlic,
- 1.5 teaspoons salt
- ½ tsp of freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon of dried dill (dill weed)
- ½ teaspoon of onion powder
- OPTIONAL: ½ to 1 teaspoon of red chili flakes.
- 3 (13.5-ounce) cans tomato sauce, (divided)
- 1 medium head green cabbage, (18 leaves for the rolls and 8 to 10 cabbage leaves for the bottom and the top of the baking dish )
- ½ cup water, leftover from boiling cabbage
- OPTIONAL: To garnish, chopped fresh dill.
Turn on your oven and heat it to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Cook rice according to the box’s instructions. Set aside.
Place your ground beef, Worcestershire sauce, egg, cooked rice, yellow onion, parsley, salt and pepper, dill and onion powder in a bowl. If you would like to make your filling spicy, you can add half a teaspoon of red chilli flakes.
To prepare your cabbage, you can put your cabbage head in boiling water in a pot, cover it with a lid and let it cook between 8 to 10 minutes.
When your cabbage is ready, let it cool, start leafing it and remove core from leaves.
Put the cabbage leaves back to boiling water to soften a little more. Then, drain (leave a little cabbage water to mix with your tomato sauce)
Prepare your baking dish by greasing it with non-stick baking spray.
Layer the bottom of your baking dish with cabbages leaves.
Take a leaf and place ¼ cup of the ground beef mixture. Fold in the side of the cabbage and leaf and roll.
Place you cabbage rolls in your greased baking dish.
Mix tomato sauce with the reserved cabbage water and pour it over the top of the rolls.
Cover with a layer of cabbage leaves.
Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil.
Place your dish in the oven to cook for 2 hours and 15 minutes to 2 hours and 30 minutes. (until the ground beef is no longer pink)
Once it is cooked, remove the foil and the top layer of cabbage leaves.
Let it cool for 15 to 20 minutes.
Garnish it with dill if desired and enjoy!
- You can use canned tomatoes instead of tomato sauce. If so, use 28 ounce can of tomatoes
You can store your cabbage rolls in an airtight container for 2-3 days in your refrigerator. When you want to serve it, reheat it for 10 to 15 minutes.in 350 degrees Fahrenheit or until it’s hot enough for you.