Prep time: 45 min. Cook time: 10 min. Makes: 8 servings (2 quarts)
Sometimes, you need an incredibly creamy and thick delicious soup that will keep you warm and full. Chicken noodles are delicious and comforting however, that’s not the focus of the soup of today is about. we’re seeking out a smoky, luxurious soup with lots of flavor. That’s how this insanely addicting Slow cooker Cheeseburger Soup got its name. It’s true that we’ve cooked low-cooker cheeseburger soup in the past however we decided it was time to revamp the recipe a little bit, with terms of one particular ingredient. In our first version, the cheese we chose was cheddar that is delicious and tasty however it isn’t melted as easily. We wanted an extremely smooth soup base this time, and so we decided to go with (the somewhat controversial) Velveeta cheese. Velveeta cheese makes an extremely smooth broth. smooth, and without the need to break the chunks of cheese that are stringy or work with the milk fats being broken into. If you’re not a fan of velveeta then feel free to choose any cheese you prefer, but be aware that the consistency the soup is phenomenal whenever you employ it. In addition to the velveeta as a base, we added an roux to give the soup that extra thickness we wanted. The mixture of butter flour and milk is added in towards the end. Let us say to you: don’t do this step without a second thought. It makes the soup delicious and with it out, the soup would not be as delicious. With beef and cheese as the primary ingredients – Hello, cheeseburger linchpins! we also added other staples of soup such as celery, carrots and onion to add the perfect richness of flavor and to make the soup more complete. If you are a fan of cheeseburgers and hearty soups the way we do and this soup will be perfect suitable for you. Test it out and see how much you enjoy it.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 (16 oz.) package velveeta, cubed
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup carrots, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, finely chopped
- 4 small potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Bacon bits
- Cheddar cheese, grated
- Heat a large pan or skillet over medium-high heat and cook ground beef, breaking it up as it cooks, until browned. Season generously with salt and pepper and garlic powder.
- Drain fat, then wipe out skillet with a paper towel. Melt butter in skillet, then whisk in flour. Cook roux for 2-3 minutes, or until golden brown, then whisk in whole milk. Season with salt and pepper, then remove from heat and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Place beef, along with onion, carrot, celery and potatoes in slow cooker and cover with chicken broth. Season with basil and parsley, the cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours, or until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in refrigerated roux mixture, then add in cubed velveeta. Cover again and cook for another 30 minutes, or until cheese is melted and soup is thick and smooth.
- Serve hot, topped with cheese and bacon bits. Enjoy!